2012-11-26 / Local News

Dog dies in fire while owner attending football game

By TIM GULLA Ledger Staff Writer tim@gaffneyledger.com

A Friday night fire on Dean Street in Gaffney destroyed a dog kennel and claimed the life of a pregnant pit bull.

Gaffney Fire Department Capt. Wayne Brown said firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire call in the 100 block Friday night and the approximate 4-feet by 12-feet dog kennel was rolling in flames upon his arrival.

He said the fire was quickly extinguished and the flames were kept from spreading to an adjacent storage building, but that nothing could have been done to save the dog. The paint on an adjacent storage building was blistered by the flames and heat but no additional structure damage was reported.

It was believed the fire was sparked by a light bulb in the kennel that was used to keep the puppies warm, Brown said.

The homeowner was at the Gaffney Indians football game Friday night when the fire broke out and firefighters waited on scene until his return, Brown said.

“He was burying it (the dog) when we left,” Brown said.

Return to top

Print Edition

Click here for digital edition
2012-11-26 digital edition

Special Sections

Poll

Do you agree with Blacksburg and Gaffney councils’ decision to ban smoking in public places and restaurants? (See the entire ordinance on Page 3 in the Wednesday, August 8 edition of The Gaffney Ledger)