2015-05-22 / Local News

Cars set on fire

Ledger Staff Writer

City of Gaffney police were called in to investigate after Gaffney firefighters responded to a North Granard Street home last Friday and found two parked vehicles on fire.

According to an incident report, firefighters were called to the 1000 block at approximately 1 a.m. and discovered the rear of a 2001 Cadillac in flames and the front of a 1986 Chevrolet pickup in flames.

The Cadillac was parked in the driveway of a home while the nearby pickup was parked under the home’s carport.

While it didn’t take long for firefighters to tackle the fire, the cause was immediately termed suspicious and police have labeled the fire as arson.

According to the police report, there was a line burned in the grass from a sidewalk on Carlisle Street to the rear of the Cadillac, as well as a black line running down the sidewalk and ending at a gate to the back yard of the residence. At the end of the black line, police noted, there was a burned wad of paper. A disposable cigarette lighter was found just a few feet away along the curb.

Gaffney Fire Marshal Scott Coleman said investigators are looking into the possible use of an accelerant and confirmed samples were taken for laboratory testing.

Police also noted that the gas cap door on the Cadillac was open when firefighters arrived, although it was reported the car’s gas cap was not removed.

Two witnesses told police they saw a line of fire going from the fence along Carlisle Street toward the vehicles, according to the police report. The witnesses went to the home and knocked on the door but no one answered.

Firefighters also tried to get someone to come to the door and were preparing to force entry when the resident finally answered, according to the police report.

The Cadillac is owned by a 69-year-old North Limestone Street woman while the pickup truck is owned by the North Granard Street resident, according to the report. The resident told police he knew of no one that would damage his property.

The Cadillac was in- sured, police noted, while the truck was not.

No damage to the home was reported, although firefighters noted the fire easily could have spread into the home if witnesses had not notified authorities.

The case remains under investigation.

Return to top

Print Edition

Click here for digital edition
2015-05-22 digital edition

Special Sections


How would you have handled the student walkout to protest gun violence?