Firefighters quash Saturday morning blaze
Firefighters were dispatched to the 300 block of Forest Lane Drive and found a working fire in the basement of the home, according to Lt. Doug Bowers. He said firefighters made entry into the basement through an exterior door and were able to keep the fire contained.
Fire Marshal Scott Coleman said the fire, which was spotted by a neighbor, didn’t spread as fast as would have been expected because the fire wasn’t getting an oxygen supply. “The fire spent more time smoldering than open burning,” he said, “so there was more heat damage than flame damage.”
While there were no injuries, Bowers said firefighters did have one tense moment when they heard a loud hissing noise and discovered that a 100 pound propane tank in the basement had blown off its pressure relief valve.
The crew was able to cool down the tank, Bowers reported, and got it removed from the home.
The cause of the fire was traced to an overheated electrical cord that was running to an electric heater. Coleman said the electrical cord wasn’t rated for that type of use.
The basement sustained fire and heat damage while some smoke did permeate to the rest of the structure, Coleman said.
No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries. The home was insured and the occupant had family to stay with, Coleman said.
Bowers said the Blacksburg Volunteer Fire Department and Upstate Carolina EMS were placed on standby while Gaffney firefighters fought the blaze.