2016-09-12 / Front Page

Fire displaces resident, destroys most belongings

By TIM GULLA
Ledger Staff Writer


Flames were venting out the back of this home on Beaver Dam School Road when Gaffney firefighters arrived Friday morning. There was nothing left but a frame after firefighters were called out for a second fire at the same address early Saturday. Flames were venting out the back of this home on Beaver Dam School Road when Gaffney firefighters arrived Friday morning. There was nothing left but a frame after firefighters were called out for a second fire at the same address early Saturday. A Gaffney woman lost practically everything she owned in a Friday morning fire, getting out with only her pet dog and worried about what became of her pet cats.

Adding insult to injury, what little remained of Jan Horne’s home on Beaver Dam School Road was lost when firefighters were called back out to a second fire at the same residence early Saturday morning.

But the woman and fire officials were all grateful that she made it out of the home safely given the hour of the Friday morning fire and other factors involved.

Horne, who has mobility issues, said she was asleep Friday morning when she heard popping and cracking noises.

When she turned to investigate, she saw fire to the left of her bed in the area of a power strip.

Horne said she got up and tried to go to the kitchen to grab some flour in the hopes of dousing the fire but the flames quickly grew, filling the mobile home with smoke.

It normally takes her minutes to get out of the home because of her health problems but she managed to get out quick enough to avoid being overcome by the smoke, grabbing her dog Putt Putt from the deck at the back of her home and trying to grab one of her cats as well.

Fire Chief Jamie Caggiano said fire was venting out the back of the home when firefighters arrived.

While firefighters made an immediate attack on the fire, the damage was so great that Caggiano said Friday morning the home was a total loss.

The Friday fire, which was called out at 6:02 a.m., was believed to be electrical in nature.

Firefighters were called back to the same residence at 6:16 a.m. Saturday for a second fire call and this time there was nothing left but the the frame of the mobile home.

Horne, who had been living in the home since 1995, said she had family to stay with and that she had insurance on the property.

Return to top

Print Edition

Click here for digital edition
2016-09-12 digital edition

Special Sections

Poll

Do you believe global warming will have catastrophic ecological effects?