Fire erupts at River Drive home
“If it hadn’t been for him, nobody would have known before it (the home) was too far gone,” Gaffney City Fire Marshal Billy Bishop offered.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 1300 block of River Drive, located off Highway 329, at 2:36 p.m. and the first arriving firefighters reported heavy smoke. No one was home at the time the fire broke out.
Bishop said it was determined the fire started in the kitchen and possibly was sparked by some type of electrical problem with an appliance. The exact problem or appliance was unknown, however.
Despite the discovery and quick response, Bishop said the home was likely a total loss although some of the family’s possessions were saved. The fire got up into the void space above the ceiling and most of the house has smoke and water damage, he said.
While one dog named “Miracle” died in the fire, several other pets were saved, including a tiny chihuahua named “Sadie Mae” that wasn’t found until after the fire was extinguished.
Blacksburg Volunteer Fire Department members responded to assist Gaffney firefighters.